Returns and Breakages   

1. What is your refund policy? 

Before returning goods, please first contact our office, and we will advise the best method. We do not accept collect shipments.

If for any reason, you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, you may return it in its original packaging within 30 days for a full refund. (For hygienic reasons, the refund policy does not apply to instruments that are blown into, e.g. recorders, harmonicas, kazoos, etc.) 

Please be sure to package the item securely to avoid damage in transit.  Of course, if there is a manufacturing defect or shipping damage, the item will be replaced or money refunded. When we receive the returned item we will credit your account. 

2. I've received my order, but one of the items arrived damaged. What do I do? 

Please contact us with your Empire invoice number and let us know which item was damaged. We will send you a replacement together with instructions for you to return the damaged item to us. You will temporarily have a second invoice for the replacement item, but as soon as we receive your damaged item, we will credit your account. 


3. What's the difference between German fingering and English/Baroque fingering? 

When you play a scale with German fingering, you remove each finger in succession. If you are using English/Baroque fingering, you would play Low F by holding the middle finger of the right hand up, and all others down. Soprano and Sopranino recorders are available in both fingerings, but alto, tenor and bass are usually only available in English/Baroque.

4. Can I tell which fingering my recorder is by looking at it? 

Yes. When you look at a German fingering recorder, the fourth hole from the top of the instrument is larger than the fifth hole. On an English/Baroque recorder, the fifth hole from the top is larger than the fourth hole. Which fingering is the most popular? Both are equally popular. The choice depends on the individual recorder teacher

5. You have High A and Low A Tunings for ukuleles. What's the difference?

Some people tune their ukes ADF#B. That's Low A, or D6 tuning. High A, or Traditional C6 tuning, is GCEA. Some people tune High A by singing “my dog has fleas”. There is also a form of GCEA tuning with a low G string. Tell us which tuning you prefer and we will pre-tune your ukulele as requested.

6. Your ukuleles come in two kinds: tuning peg and machine head. What's the difference? If you are accustomed to the machine heads used on guitars, this may suit you. However, tuning pegs are the more traditional method. The choice really depends on the individual teacher’s preferences.

Repairs and replacement parts 

7. Do you repair instruments? 

We do repairs for the Orff instruments we sell, as well as the Suzuki Tonechimes, and drumheads, provided that we have the parts in stock. Please contact us for cost and availability of parts.

We are unable to repair instruments that we do not sell.

8. The rubber tubing on my Suzuki or Emus Orff instruments is wearing out. Do you sell replacement tubing and bar nails? 

Just let us know what kind of instrument you need the tubing for (Alto Metallophone, Bass Xylophone etc.). If you need bar nails, please be very specific as to which type of nail for which instrument you need (eg. side hooks for a Bass Metallophone, bar dividers for a soprano xylophone, etc.)

9. My xylophone isn't a Suzuki or an Emus. Will your parts fit? 

Unfortunately not. Each instrument manufacturer has different specifications and parts are not inter-changeable between brands. We recommend that you contact the shop where you made your purchase for assistance.